Down syndrome is a genetic disorder resulting into mental and physical retardation. Read on to know its causes and treatment in babies/ infants.
Down Syndrome in Baby
Upward slanting eyes, unusual looking ears, broad hands with short fingers, sometimes pinkish in color, small head are all characteristic features of Down syndrome. It sends waves of terror down your spine when you imagine the condition associated with down baby syndrome. Scientifically, it is the presence of an extra copy of chromosome 21 in the body. Down syndrome usually carries slow mental and physical growth. Even language also develops slowly and in the worst cases babies are born with heart problems and needs to be operated later. It is hard to believe that babies with Down syndrome are nothing but incomplete bodies marred with wrong functioning. It can also lead to hearing impairment and vision problems too, accompanied by intestinal infections. Babies can be treated over a period of time as they grow older and are resistant enough to bear pain involved in operations. Read on to know the causes and treatment of Down Syndrome in babies.
- If one of the parents is over aged at the time of conceiving, it can lead to Down syndrome in some cases.
- Smoking by parents can be a prominent factor for a baby to get affected by Down syndrome.
- It can be genetic in some cases and may pass from ancestors to next generations, but the probability is very low.
It is really one of the most disheartening moments in one�s life when one comes to know that the much awaited baby has arrived, but with Down syndrome. The relief is that you treatment can help to alleviate the condition to a certain extent.
- A confirmed diagnosis of Down syndrome requires a test. After your baby’s birth, this test is performed on its blood samples and in 2 or 3 weeks time the test displays results. This waiting period can be extremely difficult, especially if earlier test results were uncertain and your baby displays only subtle characteristics of Down syndrome.
- Since it is a problem related to chromosomes and nothing much can be done about these ingrained issues, it is important to, at least, reduce the syndromes symptoms as per the doctor’s consultation.
- Doctors encourage several counseling sessions for parents and children to make them sounder on the syndrome. Educating oneself on the syndrome will encourage parents to take corrective actions and consider the extent of mental retardation in babies and its influence in their child’s life.
- Make sure your baby has regular checkups and tests to confirm its possibility and any symptoms and signs associated with it are diagnosed as early as possible, so that drugs and medicinal help can be given to the baby at the earliest.
- Apart from everything else, don’t forget to lend mental support to your baby. Never give up on hope and try as much as you can to bring back your baby to normal.