Your baby may suffer from high fever during the teething process. Read on to know the symptoms and treatment of teething fever in babies/infants.
Baby Teething Fever
Each baby has different teething patterns and symptoms, which can be generally recognized by fever, drooling, cranky behavior and swollen gums. It takes a great deal of time in this process and involves much pain for them leading to discomfort and laziness. Babies generally do not have very high fever and the body temperature goes to a maximum of 100 degree Fahrenheit. In case it is more than that, parents should consult pediatricians for any medication advice. Most of the times, Pediatrics normally allow the baby to go through the teething process without any medication and gradually, they become fine. Teething also happens to be the root cause of ear infection due to the development of pressure on the infantís ear canal and sinus cavities by eruption of the new tooth. The process of teething can also follow hereditary patterns and will have almost similar patterns as per their parents. Read on to know more about teething in babies and its treatment.
- Fussiness is the initial and the main characteristic of fever from teething, as baby’s mouth is painful due to sharp little tooth rising from the surface of the gums leading to soreness and discomfort.
- Drooling is caused by stimulation of teeth in the mouth and it can be excessive sometimes so better pile a full lot of handkerchiefs around you!
- Fever is the most recognizable symptom of teething fever as it is a general indication to bulging out of teeth. The fever can be low or a bit high, in case of high fever, consult a pediatrician for prescription of medicines.
- Diarrhea, running nose, lesser sleep, knowing, biting are common symptoms for teething fever in babies.
- As the gums are painful and swollen, it is advisable to rub little pieces of ice on the gums which will help to relieve the pain and swelling.
- You can also gently rub frozen cloth or cold spoons on the gums of baby to soothe the pain relieving the heat in the body. This will also bring the fever down.
- With a prior consultation from pediatrician, take some gel or paste for gums and rub on the gums, with its disinfectant properties, it will kill the germs in the mouth and make your baby a little more less feverish.
- Getting a normal body temperature is purely natural, if the degree of fever is normal to 100 degrees. In case the temperature is above 100 degrees, you can keep some cold water cotton straps on the forehead of the baby. Try not to give medicines to babies and if required, consult a pediatrician for the same.