Cloth diapers are cheaper and more comfortable, which adds to their usability. Read on for tips on using and folding cloth diapers for newborns.
Cloth Diapers for Babies
As cloth diapers are cheaper and they can be washed and reused, some parents prefer them. There are different types of cloth diapers. The traditional ones are square shaped and need to be pinned up. Modern ones are layered and have Velcro snaps. There are absorbent liners that can be used inside cloth diapers, which are disposable. Cloth diapers are double lined for greater protection for night use. Diaper covers made of plastics are available to prevent leaks. Read the article to find some tips on using cloth diapers for babies.
Using Cloth Diapers for Babies
- If the diaper requires pins, use large pins with plastic safety heads. While pinning the diaper, place your hand between the baby and the diaper. This will ensure that you do not prick the baby. Alternatively you can use diaper tapes.
- Diapers that are wet can be put into the diaper bin. If soiled, the stools should be emptied into the toilet. You can rinse them before putting them into the diaper bin, to wash later.
- Use a solution of baking soda and water for your last rinse, as this will control odor.
- Wash diapers separately. Do not do it with the rest of your laundry.
- Use mild detergent that is recommended for baby clothing.
- Use hot water to rinse each wash.
- Wash your hands well after each diaper change to prevent germs from spreading.
Folding Cloth Diapers for Newborns
- The square is folded into half to form a triangle.
- Place the baby gently on the triangle in such a way that his back is on the longest side and the opposite corner pointing to his feet.
- Bring the front part between his legs onto his stomach.
- Bring one side to overlap the middle part.
- Bring the other side to overlap the two parts. Pin them together using a safety pin.
- Fold the square into a rectangle.
- Place the baby on the rectangle.
- Bring the bottom part between his legs onto his stomach.
- Bring one side around and pin with the center part, then bring the other side and pin again.