Cleaning the tongue of your infant requires some tactfulness on your part. Read on to find some tips on how to clean a baby’s tongue.
How to Clean Baby’s Tongue
It’s not as easy to clean the tongue of a baby as it may sound - after all babies make a big hue and cry for even thing smallest thing that seems to trouble them. Some parents might want to make babies laugh and clean the tongue with a finger. However, your playful baby might bite your finger and nothing will come out of the attempt. Even if you try to use the back of a toothbrush, your baby will begin to feel nauseated. Therefore, it is very vital to know how to clean your baby’s tongue effectively, so that she/he doesn’t have any oral hygiene issues to be faced in future. In case you are not giving much attention to tongue cleaning and focusing only on the gums and teeth, it can prove detrimental to your baby’s overall oral hygiene and care. The baby’s mouth can give a bad nauseating smell which can become permanent over a period of time and accumulation of germs and bacteria can produce plaque and oral problems in future. Read on to know more how to clean a baby’s tongue.
Cleaning Tips for Baby Tongue
- Take a clean soft cotton cloth and pour some warm water on it, make sure the water is not too hot as it will irritate baby’s tongue and make it hard to eat or take any other thing into mouth.
- Encourage your baby to open his/her mouth by lowering the tip of lips, while you hold him/her.
- Now, wrap the wet cloth in your index finger and take it into the mouth and start rubbing the tongue gently in circular motions to clear the build-up.
- In some babies, tongue particles stick into it very badly. In this case, apply pea sized toothpaste on the tongue and rub it with a cloth to remove the solidified particles.
- Make sure you wash baby’s mouth properly, so that toothpaste doesn’t remain in the mouth and your little ones don’t swallow it.
- When you clean the tongue remember to clean the gums, cheeks and teeth too, as your baby may not give you a chance to do that again.
- Some babies may not get their tongues cleaned properly by this process. In that case, you need to visit a child specialist for oral queries and he/she will take care of it by giving some treatment.
- It’s important to realize that each and every organ in a baby is very vital. Therefore, take care of it right at the start, since you would not later want to burn your pockets on minor issues. However, it is important to get a doctor’s advice in case you feel there is a tongue problem that needs professional attention.
Comment On This Article