After childbirth, your relations with the spouse undergo a major change. Read on to know about marital/sexual relations post baby birth.
Marital Relations After Childbirth
With the arrival of the baby, the relationship between husband and wife will undergo a change. There maybe some initial strain and tensions in the relationship, though there is nothing that the two partners cannot solve by taking out time for each other and talking things out. After childbirth, each partner has his or her own expectations and apprehensions. Some of the things that men worry about after childbirth are earning enough for the family, the kind of father they will make and the fear of feeling left out as his wife will be devoting all her time to the baby. At the same time, a woman too has her own apprehensions and fears regarding whether her husband will support her of whether the baby will affect her relationship with spouse.
Relations With Spouse After Baby
After parenthood, it becomes very difficult for both partners to find time to spend together as a couple. A newborn baby takes up all the time of both the mother and the father. Though it may seem that the baby is affecting your relationship, it is not so. Neither does a baby damages a good relationship, nor does he/she improves a bad one. It is ultimately up to the partners to find time for each other, no matter how difficult it is or how tired they are. Here are a few things you can do to keep your relationship alive.
- Talk to each about how you feel and also regarding your problems.
- If you disagree on something, then just agree to disagree. Do not try to always have the last word. This will make things worse; do not let your ego get in the way of the relationship.
- For some time, each day, continue to think of your partner as your lover and not the father or mother of your child.
- Spend time with the baby together, play and cuddle the baby together. This will give you quality time as a family.
- Once a week, ask a friend or a family member to take care of the baby for a few hours, so that both of you have time together alone.
Sexual Relationship Post Childbirth
Sexual relationship maybe affected to a great extent once the baby is born. Since this important aspect of your relationship is affected, it may take a toll on your relationship. As a new mother the demands of your baby, exhaustion, unhappiness with bodily changes after childbirth and the effect of breastfeeding on sex drive can make you feel withdrawn from sex after childbirth. Your partner may feel that you have only time for the baby and not for him. While you may feel that everyone is only making demands on you and you don't have any time to rest or to yourself, taking out time to improve your sexual relationship will help you and your partner.
Few Things To Remember
- There is no right time to restart your sex life.
- Intercourse is not necessary. Just lying together, cuddling together and spending time together can improve your relationship and make you comfortable with your body.
- If sex in painful even after the vagina heals, you should consult your doctor.
- The vagina is an elastic and supple tissue, which heals quickly.
- A woman's body was created to bear children and the human body has great recuperation powers.
- If you still feel that you and your partner are having problems with your sexual relationship, you could think of getting counseled.
Comment On This Article