Safe sleeping for babies is essential to avert accidents. Read on to find sleep safety tips to know all about keeping infants safe while sleeping.
Baby Sleep Safety Tips
You are working in the kitchen, or enjoying your favorite television soap and suddenly you hear your baby crying. You rush back to the room to find out that your baby is lying down on the floor, crying his/her lungs out. This has become a common problem that concerns all parents. Similar situations and the surroundings of your baby’s room can cause fatal accidents. The accident numbers are increasing day by day and experts are now finding it necessary to train parents on few safety tips to keep the life of their kids secure. Sound and comfortable sleep for the babies is vital for their growth as well as mental and physical well being. This sleep should even be safe. You cannot have Vin Diesel to ensure the safety of your kids as in the movie ‘Pacifier’. You need to take up practical measures to provide your young one a safe and cozy nap, so that you can enjoy their fresh smile, once they wake up. Here are few important tips on keeping infants safe while sleeping.
Safe Sleeping For Babies
- Place your baby on the back while sleeping, both at night and during a small nap. This reduces the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). If the babies are sleeping on the sides or on the tummy, it may lead to choking. Surveys have proved that babies who sleep on their stomach are at a higher risk of SIDS. “Stomach for playing and back for sleeping” is the best for babies and also important for their overall development.
- There should be no toys, soft objects or any other fluffy items like blankets, quilts, pillows or sheepskins etc; while the baby is sleeping. All such items and any other loose item should be kept away from the baby’s face. The area where the baby sleeps, should be kept free, this will help prevent choking.
- Health experts have observed that babies who sleep under soft surface are at a greater risk of SIDS. You must always use a firm mattress that exactly fits the crib, so that there is no gap between it and the crib’s frame.
- To decrease the chance of flat spots from forming on your baby’s head, you can let the baby lie down on the tummy, when someone is watching and around. You should keep changing the sleeping area every week.
- Baby’s sleeping area should be separate from the place where everyone else sleeps. Make sure that the baby does not sleep on couch, sofas, armchair or any bed with other children. Crib is the best place for a baby to sleep.
- Always use fitted sheets of exact size as mattress and tuck the entire blanket in. you must not use sleep position wedges, bumper pads or pillows inside the crib.
- While breastfeeding, put the baby in a separate sleep area that can be a crib, bassinet cradle, which is attached to the bedside once you finish feeding. You can use clean and fresh pacifiers while putting the baby back to sleep, if they accept, otherwise don’t force them.
- Baby’s room temperature must be maintained within 68 degree F and 75 degree F. Use a thermometer to measure the temperature.
- Keep any cigarette or smoke away from babies. Don’t place your baby in a room full of smoke, which may lead to suffocation.
- Baby’s crib should be kept away from any kind of heat vent or source of warm or cold air. To prevent the baby from getting overheated, it is better to use layered clothing. The baby should not be overdressed while sleeping.
Comment On This Article