Flat head syndrome is a condition that occurs in many a baby. Read on to know the cause and treatment of flat head syndrome in babies/ infants.
Flat Head Syndrome in Baby
Babies are like newly published books that seem to reveal some new and astounding information every now and then. Babies are born with waxy and pliable organs and can develop some dramatic problems arising due to resting in the same position for longer times, may be in car seat or their beds. You can find their head to be flat at some spots. In this case, you can always encourage the babies to rest their heads in alternative directions. You should take notice that they are not sleeping at one particular position and turn them whenever you can. You just have to make sure that the baby doesnít take pressure on a particular area of the head and even if the head has been flattened before, it can be resume normal shape again. Adding to your relief is the fact that flat head syndrome is purely a cosmetic issue and doesnít relate to the mental development of a baby. Yet it is a matter to be thought about. Read on to know the causes and treatment of flat head syndrome in babies.
- Apart from sleeping or resting postures, flat head syndrome can also be caused in the womb itself by mother’s pelvis or pressure from a twin.
- ‘Craniosynostosis’ is a term characterized by a condition where the bones in the skull fuse together in a short time and can lead to the syndrome.
- Congenial disabilities can also add to the deformity of the head.
- In some babies, neck muscles are too short and can make the head face one, way building pressure on it and making it flat.
- However babies are born with normal heads, but due to postures can be deformed easily; you can initially give the condition its own time to recover its flat head.
- If you are noticing the flat head of your baby for a longer period of time, you can take an appointment with your pediatrician and can check with his specifications and directions.
- Treatment starts with the recommended exercises by the doctor, which include sleeping more on tummy, using a U-shaped ring on the neck at the time of lying down, repositioning during sleeping can help.
- All the recommended exercises should be beneficial and worth and if it’s not turning to be so, then you can again consult your pediatrician for more improvements and suggestions.
- Cranial molding devices and helmets are also available under doctor’s guidance at stores, which can be bought and used for the recovery purposes.
- Make sure you do not use the devices for longer period of time as it may hinder the blood circulation in the head and may produce a numb feeling as well.
Comment On This Article