Your baby has swollen red eyes and you are looking for a treatment? Do not worry. Follow the article to know about treating conjunctivitis in infants.
Conjunctivitis in Babies
Conjunctivitis is caused by an infection of lining of the eyelids and of the outer protective layer of the eye called the conjunctiva. It can be caused because of a virus or any allergy and leads to sore, red and sticky eyes. Though it is not something serious, but is definitely uncomfortable. Some kinds of conjunctivitis may cause damage to the eyes if not attended on time. If it is due to an allergy, it will always come with other signs like fever including itchy nose and sneezing, while making the eyes feel itchy. But, if it is caused by some bacteria, both the eyes will always be infected with gritty feeling and pus. Conjunctivitis is notorious in nature and is a welcoming infection. It is welcoming in the sense it can get transmitted to anyone who comes in contact with the infected person. So a great deal of care and precaution need to be taken by parents whose babies are infected. They should keep the surrounding clean; keep themselves and their hands clean before coming near the infected child. There are other precautions and remedies that if followed can prove to be of great help to the mothers and their babies.
Conjunctivitis Treatment for Baby
- Consult your doctor at the earliest and get it diagnosed accurately. Use an ointment or drops, if necessary.
- Bathe your baby’s eyes daily with warm water and clean up any debris. Use a separate clean cotton cloth for each eye to avoid cross infection. Sweep gently from the inner to the outer part of the eye to remove any discharge.
- Give your baby his/ her own tweed and towel to use. This will prevent the infection from spreading.
- It is an infectious disease and has a notorious tendency to spread, so wash your hands before and after touching the baby’s eyes.
- Bathing baby’s eyes with a sea-salt solution will help the eyes remain free from discharge. It has a cleansing and mild antiseptic property which will help cure the infection.
- Eyebright is well reputed by herbalist to be the best herb for treating the eyes. It has both the cleansing and strengthening properties. Make a solution in a cup of boiled water. Let it cool down and strain, and then use a fresh cotton wool and apply gently on the eyes.
- Bacterial conjunctivitis may need antibiotic drop or ointment from the doctor.
- Viral conjunctivitis will get cured on its own. However, regular cleaning is required.
- Bathing babies in a little freshly expressed breast milk is also effective.
- Babies suffering from conjunctivitis may get sore eyes. In this case, regular cleaning away of pus is useful to make the child feel better. Eyes can be cleaned either from the outside inward or from inside outward, whichever is comfortable.
- Careful hand washing is most important to stop the infection from spreading.
- Children and adults having conjunctivitis should stay away from schools and work places until the infection is cured.
- Disposal of tissues, cottons and towels after use is an important step to control the spread of infection.
Comment On This Article