Aspergerís syndrome in babies is a type of autism spectrum disorder. Read on to know the causes & symptoms of Aspergerís syndrome in infants.
Aspergerís Syndrome in Babies
Self-centered behavior, repetitive behavioral patterns, and difficulty in social interaction Ė all these symptoms point to Aspergerís syndrome in your baby. Aspergerís syndrome is a part of the family of autism spectrum disorders. Those suffering from the syndrome show difficulties in social interaction, along with repetitive and restricted behavior and interests. This syndrome differs from other autism disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development. Unlike other autism disorders, it is also very difficult to track and diagnose. The babies suffering from this syndrome might exhibit a few symptoms only and even they might be difficult to identify. Unlike the children suffering from autism, those with Aspergerís syndrome might show no delay in language development. They usually have a good control over grammar, but do exhibit a kind of language disorder. There are no delays in cognitive development or in age-appropriate self-help skills, such as feeding and dressing themselves. However, they may have problem with attention span and in organization. Such children usually have average and, at times, above average intelligence. Read on to explore the causes and symptoms of Aspergerís syndrome in infants.
Aspergerís Syndrome in A Baby
The causes of Aspergerís syndrome are not very clear. Researchers are still investigating for the exact reasons behind this syndrome. It is believed that the pattern of behavior that characterizes Aspergerís syndrome may have many causes. The condition seems to have a hereditary factor or component in it. Studies indicate that Aspergerís may be associated with other mental disorders as well, like depression and bipolar disorder. Researchers are also looking for any possibility of environmental factors affecting brain development. However, what needs to remembered is that Aspergerís syndrome is not caused by emotional deprivation or deficient upbringing of a person. Some of the behavior may appear deliberate and intentionally rude, but people should not mistake it as the result of bad parenting or upbringing. It is a neurological disorder whose causes are not yet been fully understood. Currently, there is no treatment for the disorder, as the causes are so vague, so a child with Aspergerís grows up with the same. However, it generally does not affect the normal living of a person.
- Babies suffering from Asperger’s syndrome usually stay away from other people. They are more of a shy nature and indulge in minimal interaction with the people around them.
- Children suffering from Asperger’s syndrome are often highly self-centered. From their talks and behavior, it seems that nothing matters to them more than their own self.
- Such kids even tend to have a robot-like scripted speech or way of conversing. They keep repeating the same things again and again.
- The syndrome often projects some odd behaviors and mannerisms. The kids may behave in a strange manner to a certain situation, or just generally.
- The babies suffering from Asperger’s might also lack in common sense. They may find it difficult to apply their brain in common situations.
- Such kids tend to show some kind of an obsession with any complex topic or situation, which does not even require the amount of attention they are giving.
- The children suffering from the syndrome may face some problem with regard to reading and writing. They may also have problem in subjects like maths, where reasoning is required.
- Patients may also face problems with regard to non-verbal cognitive abilities, which can be average or below average. The verbal ability remains average or above average.
This syndrome is very difficult to diagnose as children suffering with Aspergerís functions well in most aspects of life. So, their strange behaviors can easily be attributed to them being different. According to mental health experts, the detection of the syndrome at the earliest is very important. Interventions involving educational and social training perform while a childís brain is still developing is highly recommended. Though the symptoms are not very clear, but if you are able to detect even few of them, it is advisable to recommend your child to a doctor. A complete psychosocial evaluation will be done while examining the baby. This will include careful examination of the history of symptoms, the language and motor skill development of the child and other aspects of personality and behavior.
Treatment Of Aspergerís Syndrome
Parentís Education & Training
It is very important for the parents to be completely aware about all the aspects of the disorder. The parents whose child is suffering with the disorder should be well aware of the disorder and its affect, so that they can take proper care of their children, as prescribed by the specialist.
Children suffering with A.S. are self-centered. They donít mingle well with the society. It is important to give them some social-skill therapy. The parents or the family members can only help them by comforting them and granting confidence in them at social gatherings.
Children suffering with Aspergerís Syndrome show some difficulty in speaking and communicating, though they have good control over language. There is a need for them to go through a language therapy to make their expressing ability fluent.
Specialized Educational Interventions
Children suffering with A.S. can also face problems in educational field, so a special educational intervention is a must.
Sensory Integration Training
The sufferers of the syndrome might be highly sensitive to certain things or situations. So, a sensory integrated training can be conducted by a specialist, which will help decentralize the stimuli to which the children are highly sensitive.
Once a child grows up they can also undergo psychotherapy or a cognitive therapy for better results.
There are no medications as such for Aspergerís syndrome. But some medications as prescribed by a specialist may improve some specific symptoms that might be complicating your babyís progress.
Comment On This Article